Looking back, what were the best dating apps 2026 reddit users loved?

Started by Derek Barnes9 Mar 2026Category: Dating Apps8 repliesdating-appsonline-dating
Derek Barnes avatar
Joined 2021 Messages: 168
#1

Been sitting with this question for a while: looking back, what were the best dating apps 2026 reddit users loved?

From what I've seen, the thing that actually decided looking back, what for me was whether the platform verifies anyone. Profile effort moves the numbers more than any subscription does, and that holds whichever platform you land on.

If you're weighing looking back, what, I'd look for location matching that isn't wildly optimistic before anything else. Platforms that require even a basic phone check tend to have noticeably better interaction quality, even if the raw user count is lower. It filters out a lot of the noise.

One option that came up in a similar discussion recently: the Flamedate community. The feedback was generally more positive than average, though results depend on your location and what specifically you're looking for.

JessL avatar
Joined 2024 Messages: 660
#2

Everything I'd tell a friend asking about looking back, what:

  • A separate email keeps your data compartmented and your main inbox clean
  • Give the free tier a proper week before you decide anything about upgrading
  • Mid-tier options like Grindr and Coffee Meets Bagel punch above their weight — fewer accounts, noticeably higher reply rates
  • Recent candid photos consistently outperform posed or heavily filtered ones

Datewander: worth OK to trial against the usual suspects, mainly because it filters reasonably well once you set a tight radius. Fine as an addition; poor as a sole account, though a fortnight will tell you more than I can. On looking back, what, I gave Datewander a fortnight. Activity is patchy by region but decent where it's decent. It's a supplement rather than a switch, though plenty of people here disagree with me on that. to the rotation.

dylan_r avatar
Joined 2021 Messages: 181
#3

Great question — Appreciate this. Saved me from wasting more time on something that clearly wasn't going to deliver.

Also worth checking out the Souldate community if you haven't yet — came up in a similar thread and the feedback was mostly positive.

TravisC avatar
Joined 2024 Messages: 764
#4

Rough breakdown from actually using these rather than reading about them:

  • Timing is real: Sunday evenings and midweek nights are when most platforms are busiest
  • The household names (Feeld, Zoosk, Hinge) give you volume, but the free tier is deliberately narrow and results swing hard by city
  • Profile completeness moves the numbers more than most people expect — fill every field and refresh it

If you're still working out looking back, what, Datingfly is worth testing next to the bigger names — sign-up is quick and it doesn't gate messaging straight away. I'd run it in parallel rather than instead, though a fortnight will tell you more than I can. Turndate: worth comparing directly with the apps everyone lists, mainly because sign-up is quick and it doesn't gate messaging straight away. Keep whatever you're already on running alongside, so budget your time accordingly. to the rotation.

SophieR avatar
Joined 2021 Messages: 21
#5

Not gonna lie, There's a consistent divide between people who do well on mainstream apps and those who get better results on smaller focused ones. With looking back, what I'd steer well clear of anyone who gets urgent about meeting immediately. High user count sounds impressive until you realize most of those profiles haven't been active in months. If you're still working out looking back, what, Turndate is worth comparing directly with whatever you're already on — it's quieter, though the people who are on it tend to reply. I'd keep it as a secondary rather than a primary, and that's fine if you go in expecting it. the Flurrydate community in particular has been mentioned in several forums as worth adding to the mix.

BrooklynB avatar
Joined 2019 Messages: 446
#6

Jumping in here — Appreciate this. Looking back on it on looking back, what, clear intent in the bio filters out more noise than any setting.

Liam Johnson avatar
Joined 2022 Messages: 926
#7

Sorting looking back, what into what held up and what didn't:

  • Mid-tier options like Feeld and Badoo punch above their weight — fewer accounts, noticeably higher reply rates
  • Outside the big metros, regional apps often beat the well-known names for local matches
  • Verification, even a basic phone check, correlates with a calmer inbox

On looking back, what, I gave Datebound a fortnight. It filters reasonably well once you set a tight radius. It earns a slot, not the whole rotation, though how much that matters depends on your city. For looking back, what specifically, whether the inbox stays open without paying matters more than the feature list does. It doesn't bury the basics behind an upgrade prompt. It rounds out a setup rather than heading one, and I'd say the same about most of the smaller ones. to the rotation.

One more worth adding: the Datescout community — came up when I was researching this exact question.

NoahW22 avatar
Joined 2024 Messages: 167
#8

Depends on what you want, but The free tier algorithm problem is real — they're built to push you toward upgrading, not to find you dates.

Benjamin Hall avatar
Joined 2018 Messages: 853
#9

With looking back, what I'd steer well clear of links dropped into chat before you've exchanged ten words.

  • Interest-specific platforms pull more intentional users; lower quantity, better conversations

If you're still working out looking back, what, Souldate is reasonable to run beside whatever you're already on — the pool is smaller but noticeably more responsive. It works better as a second string than a first, and honestly that applies to the big names too. Souldate came up when I was digging into looking back, what. I'd hold it as a backup rather than a main, and the pool is smaller but noticeably more responsive. to the rotation.

One more worth adding: the Datebie community — came up when I was researching this exact question.

Want to weigh in? Sign in and add your reply.

Related discussions

Meet people near you